Removing mold from your home can be daunting, and it can be difficult to decide when to call a professional. However, there are signs to look for that can tell you if the mold has grown to the point where it would be unsafe to remove it yourself. In this article, you will learn how to remove mold on your own, and you'll also learn when it's time to call a pro.
What Kind of Mold is It?
A musty smell under the sink might not be a dangerous black mold after all. Mold is composed of live spores, while black mold is often toxic. Mildew is sometimes confused with mold, but it can be quickly cleaned with surface cleaners and bleach. Not all black-colored molds are toxic, and you may need professional testing to determine whether toxic molds are within your home. You should get your home tested for mold at least every five years.
Stopping the Damage
If you smell or see black mold, it's likely to be in a high-moisture area such as a poorly-vented bathroom. Fix the leak or venting issue before deciding whether to fix the damage on your own. Once moisture is present, mold will feed on fabric, drywall or carpet, causing further damage.
Get it Inspected
Hiring a pro to determine the level of mold damage in your home is the safest way to arrive at a solution. A mold restoration company can test every room in your home to determine if the mold has spread. If you hire a pro, the technician will tell you whether you have to leave your home while treatment is taking place.
Being Safe With DIY Mold Removal
If you decide to remove mold yourself, you'll have to start with the purchase of mold removal gear. The proper respirator can be found at home improvement stores for about $50, and you'll need goggles, gloves, pants and a long-sleeved shirt.
Throw Away Damaged Materials
After you've contained the water damage, you'll need to allow the room to dry for up to two days. Porous goods such as fabric, drywall and carpet can hold moisture, and anything with signs of mold damage should be discarded.
Scrub, Scrub, Scrub
Mold can be scrubbed away with detergent and water. Allow surfaces to dry completely; if there's dried mold, dampen the area before cleaning to prevent the spread of spores. Mold removal professionals have special products to use, but you can do the job naturally with agents such as tea tree oil, hydrogen peroxide, vinegar and baking soda. If mold has invaded your HVAC system, don't try to remove it yourself—call in a mold remediation company such as Commonwealth Moisture And Mold Specialists LLC.